Mr.A & I are not big collectors of souvenirs, except for that one customary fridge magnet that marks every country that we have visited. However, there was one memento that I always wanted to buy whenever I got to Russia – the Matryoshka or Babushka, aka Russian nesting dolls. You see, travelling though eastern Europe, you’ll find these everywhere, but that’s not their true origin, is it? What’s the fun in buying a tiny Eiffel-Tower-keychain anywhere else than Paris, right? So I told myself I would get a set of dolls when I actually made it to the right place. And so I finally got mine in St.Petersburg. For all I know, it is highly possible that the wood, paint & craftsmen were not Russian at all! Nonetheless, I felt quite happy for having found an ‘authentic’ piece. Yes, sometimes I’m silly like that. Never mind me, look at these cute dolls arranged in the order of their heights. Of course, there was lots to choose from but I stuck to the classic style. But it was fun to observe that apart from ladies with fancier dresses, they even had some very creative version featuring cats, dogs, Harry Potter, Trump & Putin!
Sunny District has so many more entries to the Weekly Photo Challenge, I hope you like what you find!
Did you guys check out my Travel Checklist from 2015? Go, go, take a look & tell me how cool it reads 😉
It might be pretty evident that being the travel-hungry people that we are, Mr.A and I surely have a Wishlist for 2016 ready and waiting to be ticked off!
- Berlin, Germany : We also love history, and Berlin has so much to offer on that front. In fact, we are going to be on a flight to Berlin tonight; we definitely believe in a good start!
- Prague, Czech Republic : Picturesque Prague has been on our list ever since we moved to Europe. Finally we go there during the Easter break. Can’t wait!
- Dubrovnik & Split, Croatia : Go Game of Thrones! Everyone knows that Croatia is featured heavily in the series, and we both are totally hooked on to it. Remember my excitement when the Game of Thrones Exhibition came to Stockholm? I am already making lists of places we need to check out.
- Budapest, Hungary : I hear this pretty city has so much to offer. Some friends have even quoted Budapest as their favourite European city. So that puts it high up on our must-visit list.
- St. Petersburg & Moscow, Russia : We have flown through Russia many times, but haven’t yet had a chance to see one of its cities. I really want to see the Church of the Saviour on Blood, which to me seems quite an unusual architecture for a church, but extremely fascinating at the same time. And I must buy myself some matrioskas, of course! We have friends in Moscow, and it would be lovely to visit them. Always good to have local insights about a foreign place, right?
Of course, we have a never-ending urge to travel and see more all the time, but I guess this is a reasonable set to start with for this year. And then again, we aren’t ones to stick to plans either, so who knows where to end up by the end of the year 😉 As long as we continue to make the journey, I think we will be happy enough 🙂 Right, Mr.A?!
P.S. I don’t have photos of these amazing places yet, but I thought this happy photo of me walking on ice was nice enough to share 😉