Sunny District just updated its top menu, do check it out! “Where’s She Going” still holds its own page. What’s new are the dropdown menus so that my travel checklist is now categorized a little bit better, based on continent. So far Sunny District has been in Asia, Australia and Europe. While building the menu, I gave myself a little refresher course in Geography. Since some of my entries could be perceived as incorrect, I feel obliged to share my logic here 🙂
- By landmass, 95% of Turkey lies in Asia and the remaining 5% in Europe, so I’ve placed Turkey under Asia on my list.
- Until as late as 1997 Hong Kong used to be a colony of the United Kingdom but was then handed over to China. Similarly Macau (posts coming soon!) used to be a Portuguese colony & was handed over at the same time. Both Hong Kong & Macao are set retain their own currency, administrative & legal systems for at least 50 years hence i.e. till 2047. It seems alright to treat these as special cases, so you’ll find them as separate entries on my list here.
- Monaco and Vatican City have their own entry as they are recognized ministates / microstates, not to be confused with micronations like Christiania!
- You’ll find England on the list, after I decided that this was the right name to use, given the complicated nomenclature used in that region 😉 You see, UK, short for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or simply United Kingdom, is a sovereign state made up of four countries – England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Which makes Ireland and Northern Ireland two separate countries. Great Britain on the other hand, consists of the big landmass made up of England, Scotland, Wales. And the British Isles includes all of the above i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland, plus several other islands counting over 6000 in numbers. This link explains it quite well.
- Australia is, well, complicated. Is it a country or a continent? What are the other countries, if it’s a continent? And what is Oceania made of? All in all, I’ve only been to the main island by the same name, so for now I’ll keep it together as a single entry. If, or rather when, I visit more around that part of the world, I’ll fix that category, too.
So that’s that! Hope you like the new details & enjoy travelling with me 🙂